Most of the times Windows comes with a pop-up message that asks you to update your version of Windows. Sometimes, those windows update messages become unwanted. It might happen that even if you want to update your Windows, it won’t work. Or you may not know how to fix Windows update not working in such a case. It automatically downloads, updates and installs the version it can and saves other installations as well when you restart. But when it breaks down and stops working, you need to fix that situation by the different methods of Windows update not working.
How To Fix Windows Update Not Working in Windows?
This frequently happens on Windows 7, 8, or 10. It is most common with Windows. This may happen due to error in downloading of updates or also due to some internal system error. Whatever be the cause of the error, it can be fixed for sure. We have listed some of the methods to fix this issue in this post.
Fix Windows Update not Working in Windows 7
A built-in troubleshooter is found in almost all versions of Windows, including Windows 7. It can help you to fix certain issues related to the update of Windows. Moreover, it is the easiest way of doing it. So, you should go ahead and try it at once. The steps that you need to follow are:
- Click on Start and search for Troubleshoot. Now, run the troubleshoot wizard by clicking it.
- Open the System and Security option in the Troubleshooter and then click on Fix Problems with Windows Update.
- Now, Click on Advanced option in the subsequent window that opens up.
- Check the box that say, Apply Repairs Automatically.
- Now, cluck on Run as Administrator and then jump to Next.
The administrative tools privileges helps to ensure that you can delete files in the download cache. This is the process how the Troubleshooter works. It lets you know if it could fix and identify the problem as well. This method can successfully remove the ares where the update process is stuck most of the time. You can go and run the procedure after you complete the above mentioned procedure. Do not worry if the Troubleshooter says that it couldn’t identify the problem. It might sometimes possible that the actions of stooping the services ad starting it might have completed the procedure.
Fix Windows Update Not Working in Windows 8.1
The problem in updating the Windows may occur due to some connection problem between your device and the Microsoft Windows servers. It may also happen due to poor connection with your service provider. Firewall, web accelerators, VPN on your PC, antivirus software might also block the Window Update Services. This hinders you from accessing the internet or may cause any other problem. You can use Windows Update Troubleshooter to fix this problem as well, by following these steps:
- Open the Windows Update Troubleshooter Tool.
- Now select Windows Update.
- Click on Next.
The tool will automatically search for problems and try to fix them. After this process, you need to follow these steps:
- Click on Close when the tool finishes its activity.
- Restart your PC.
- Open Windows Update.
- Click on Check for Updates.
Your problem is solved when Windows downloads and install updates without any errors. But if it is not so then move on to the next method in order too fix the issue.
Fix Windows Update Not Working in Windows 10
Although Windows Update is the best option of all to Download or install updates in Windows 10. Sometimes you may get to see an error message while updating Windows. This won’t let you install the newer version. There may be number of error messages occurring and each of them vary with the problem that has caused them. However the quickest way to resolve this issue is to use Windows Update Troubleshooter Tool and follow these steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Click on Update & Security and then Troubleshoot.
- Select the Windows Update option under, Get up and running.
- Now, click on the, Run the troubleshooter button.
- If applicable click the, Apply this fix option.
- Then, continue with the directions onscreen.
- The last step is to Restart your device.
After following the above-mentioned steps go to Settings then to Update & Security then to Windows Update and click on the Check for updates option in order to upgrade it once more.
Now you can easily update your Windows, after the restart is complete. If you still face any issues, you can try the other methods as well.
Alternative Hack to Fix Windows Update Not Working
This method may seem a bit odd but may help to fix the issue. The exact working of this method isn’t known, but it works if there is an internal device error such as the settings haven’t taken effect. To do this, here are the steps:
- Open Windows Update.
- Then, Click on Change Settings.
- Now, replace Never Check for updates with Install updates automatically.
- Then, uncheck the option Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates.
- Now, uncheck Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows.
- Save the settings and exit.
- Again, go back to Windows Update and click on Check for Updates.
- Revert all the changes you made moments ago.
- Save the new settings again.
Now, in all probability your issue would be resolved.
Updating the Windows is very important because it saves you from the bugs that have been crept in during the designing of the software. Hence, even if sometimes you may not want to update the Windows automatically, it is recommended to keep it active. We have listed the different methods to fix Windows Update not working, and if you face any issues regarding that, please communicate us using comments section.