You must have visited several URLs before when you type the required URL in the address bar. Chrome suggests you the URLs you have visited before. It may also predict and suggest the URLs that you might be searching for. When some browser auto-suggests anything it makes the working process handy, but sometimes it becomes difficult when you’re typing too fast. This article would be very helpful for you if you want to remove the suggested URLs in Google Chrome. There are different ways to remove suggested URLs in Google Chrome which have been discussed in this post.
Why Remove Suggested URLs in Google Chrome?
This is a very obvious question and has an obvious answer as well. Here are the reasons why you must be eager to remove suggested URLs in Google Chrome:
- The suggested URLs can take you to another site.
- They can redirect you to some malicious sites which you won’t prefer to visit.
- The suggested URLs, once visited will contribute to Cache which has to be cleared from time to time.
- They can also waste your time with numerous errors and redirections.
How to Remove Suggested URLs in Google Chrome?
In this section, we have discussed the various methods that you can use to remove suggested URLs in Google Chrome. They are all different from each other but are simple ways, so you should choose the one that best suits you.
Delete Each Suggestion Manually
Sometimes when you enter a URL in the search bar of Google Chrome it suggests some URL, if you either spell the URL wrongly or add anything like a hyphen or an underscore at the end by mistake. Sometimes it may happen that the browser takes you to some different websites if you don’t pay attention to it. Chrome has a very easy way to fix this issue.
Here is how you can remove the URL suggestions in Chrome by following some very easy steps:
- Start typing the first few letters of the URL in the URL search bar for e.g. am.
- This would the point when Chrome will start suggesting you a URL which is incorrect or may not match with what you want to search for.
- Now you have to make sure that you highlight the URL and press Shift + Delete. If you are using Windows installed PC.
- You can also type Fn + Shift + Delete if you are a Mac user on your keyboard to remove those unwanted suggestions.
- Chrome will move on to the next URL suggestion available once you delete the selected URL.
This process is very easy in order to fix this issue. It comes in handy if you commit a silly mistake. However, the same process implies for other browsers too with a slight difference.
Clear the Browsing History
You can simply delete the URL manually by using the arrow keys. Using it you can highlight the URL that you want to remove. After you highlight it, you have to press Shift + Delete. However, it is not that simple as it seems to be. If you are getting to see multiple suggestions from the same websites, it may happen that you have to delete and remove each one of them individually. This may require a lot of time as it is a labour-intensive task. Since it works temporarily, you need to have some feasible way to it, which is given below:
- Open the Settings menu.
- Choose “Clear Browsing Data” and after that select “More Tools”.
- You can also use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + Delete in order to open the above page.
- Tick the box labeled in the “Browsing History” and let the others remain unchecked.
- You can select how much history you want to erase from the drop-down menu.
- Now, click the “Clear Data” button.
You would now see that the suggested URLs have gone. It is because they are based on your history many times, which is now cleared.
Use Browser Extensions
If you are finding that you have to clear your browsing history on a regular basis you can take the help of some browser extensions to fix it. Browser extensions make this process a little easier. The Click & Clean extension makes it easy to delete the saved URLs and this makes the process easy than navigating through Chrome’s Settings. Follow these steps to fix this problem using this browser extension.
- Install the Click and Clean extension on Chrome.
- Click the Click and Clean icon on your Toolbar.
- You can hover your mouse over “Clear Private Data”.
- Now, click on the Settings icon.
- You can click on the trash can icon in the Chrome section. Doing so, you can configure Click and &clean for faster future use.
- You can now check the boxes beside anything that you want to quickly and easily delete from your browsing history.
- Now, click on the “Run Cleaner” button to remove the URL.
If you want to adapt the time frame for the deletion of the URLs you can use the “obliterate” drop-down menu. This helps you to choose how long back you want to clean the browsing history. You can simply choose Click & Clean in the future whenever you want in the Chrome toolbar. After which you can “clear private data” to delete the selected history. This process is almost the same for any other extension that you use.
Removing Suggested URLs in Google Chrome In Android/iOS
If you are using Chrome on your Android/iOS phone here is how you can fix the issue of unwanted URLs suggestions. When you open the “Google Chrome” default home page and it is including some unwanted URL suggestions, this article will help you to fix it using the following steps.
- Open the Chrome app and type the URL in the address bar.
- Locate the Search box at the top of the page.
- Search for the phrase NTP.
- This will shorten the list of flags and will ease the process of finding the one that you need.
- Tap the button titles as “Default”, once you’ve found it.
- Select Disabled from the list of options.
- Choose the “Relaunch Now” option as soon as you make the required changes.
- Tap on it. Now, the chrome will restart and choose a new tab.
Now you would find that the suggested URLs are gone.
There are many simple ways to remove the suggested articles from Chrome and we have tried to discuss all of them. However, some of them are time taking and labour-intensive techniques. You can use some of the simplest steps and get rid of this problem easily and quickly. If you have any suggestions, please communicate them via comments.