Sometimes it may sound helpful that Windows is updating itself automatically. As useful it may sound, sometimes you might want to stop this automated updating. It is when you want to work on something urgently, the windows update pop-up message appears asking you to update. This becomes a hurdle in your work. Therefore, you might want to stop automatic update in Windows. If you are a Windows 10 user then this article will help you understand how to stop Windows 10 update.
Automatic update of Windows in Windows 10 is the least liked feature. It will always ask you to update the windows every time you command it to shut down. However, you need to understand that this is different from the Blue Screen Error in Windows, which we have already discussed.
Why Stop Windows 10 Update And Notifications
Let’s say you have an important presentation and you’re willing to put your full efforts in completing it before the deadline. But, at the same time the Windows 10 has an updated version and it’s asking you to update. Now, you might receive the following notifications when you try to shut down your PC. Some of the messages are:
- Install update automatically.
- Update and Shutdown.
- Download updates but choose when to update them.
- Check for updates but let me choose if to install and download them.
If you’re wondering what to do when you receive a message like this and how to stop Windows 10 update, we have solutions for it.
How To Stop Windows 10 Update?
There are many ways which can help you to do it. Some of them are very simple and easy-to-go. You have to follow some very simple steps under each method and can stop it from happening. The most important ones are mentioned below.
Disable Windows Update Service
Before you use this method you must know its limitations. While in the process of disabling the automatic update in Windows 10 this method may temporarily halt any cumulative updates in Windows 10. This service will be re-enabled after a couple of minutes and sometimes it may take hours. Here are the directions on how to do it:
- Press Windows + R. This is the shortcut key for opening Run Box.
- Type services.msc in the Run box and hit Enter.
- Scroll down and double-click on the Windows Update.
- Choose “Disabled” in Startup. Then click on “Apply” and then on “OK” in order to save the settings.
After this you can no more see those unwanted pop-up messages for Windows 10 updates.
Changing the Settings Of The Group Policy Editor
In order to stop Windows update in Windows 10, you can change the settings of the group policy editor. You may not find the feature of Group Policy in Home Edition. You can use Group Policy Editor only if you are running Windows 10 Professional, Education or Enterprise.
Using it you can prevent Windows 10 from automatically updating itself. What Group Policy Editor basically does is to notify you of the latest updates without installing them in the first place. All you have to do is follow these steps:
- Press the logo of Windows key + R.
- Type gpedit.msc and click OK.
- Go to “Computer Configuration” and then “Administrative Templates” then “Windows Components” and then click on “Windows Update”.
- Then, double click on “Configure Automatic Updates”.
- In Configure Automatic Updates, select “Disabled” on the left.
- Click apply and then “OK” to disable the Windows Update feature.
If you want to update your Windows version later, you can repeat the above-mentioned steps again. To turn on this feature select “Enable”. After this, you can continue downloading the updates.
Meter Your Network Connection
You must know that this method does not work for Ethernet connections. You can only use this method to disable the automatic update of Windows when you are using a WiFi connection. So, if you have a good WiFi connection then you can use this method to fix the issue. Follow the following steps:
- At the left-corner of your desktop click on the “Start” button.
- Then, click on the “Settings” app.
- Now, click on “Network and Internet”.
- In the left pane click on “WiFi”, then click on the name of your WiFi.
- Then, click on Set as Metered Connection.
This process is very simple. All you need is a good WiFi connection and you can get the solution for how to stop windows 10 update using this method.
Change the Methods Of Windows 10 Updates Using Registry
Changing the methods of Windows 10 updates using registry can be a bit risky. It may also cause damage to your computer that can be irreversible in nature, but only if you don’t do it correctly. It is important that you do a complete backup of your computer before proceeding with this method.
Once you make a full backup of your computer it becomes safe to stop auto-update of Windows. This will stop your PC from receiving any forced update notifications. Now, follow these steps to make changes in the Registry:
- To open the Run command, use the keyboard shortcut which is: Windows key + R.
- Type regedit to open the Registry and then click OK now browse the Path.
- Now, right-click on the Windows key folder, select “New” and then select “Key”.
- It is the time to name the new Key. Name it as, “Windows Update” after which hit Enter.
- Now, a new Key will be created. Right-click on newly created key. Select, “New” and click, “Key”.
- Press Enter after naming the new key as AU. Right-click inside the newly created key, select “New” and click on “DWORD (32-bit) Value”.
- Name the new key AUOptions and press Enter. Change the value to 2 of the new Key after you double -click on the newly created key and click OK.
- Now, you can close the registry and the task will be completed. You may also restart your computer system if the changes don’t take effect.
Using this method you can easily stop auto-update in Windows 10. It will notify you of the new versions or updates available.
These methods will turn very helpful for your computer will it always show a pop-up message notifying you to update you PC. Sometimes, you do not want this to happen because it takes away system and network resources. Hence, in this article, we have listed simple methods that will help you to fix this issue. If any methods have any other issues, let us know in the comments section.